RE: Skipped headings

An argument I've often had with my screenreader colleague - the heading structure exactly reflects the content which doesn't have, or need an obvious H2 (usually). If the heading levels are the same visually and semantically, whether there is a skip or not, then surely it ceases to be an access problem and may, but usually isn't, be a UX issue.

Kevin

From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2024 7:48 PM
To: Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>; Kevin Prince <kevin.prince@fostermoore.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Skipped headings

It's actually worse than that. In most places, WCAG states that the heading levels should reflect the content structure, which leads to the dichotomy described in the initial post. However, in at least one place, it states that the heading levels should reflect the importance of the content, which is entirely different and far more arbitrary.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd