Re: Applicability of WCAG 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 for the search edit fields.

While reviewing an accessibility audit I came across this. This was a
surprise for me. I have never seen such things being reported as
violation. However, my attempts to convince that they are not actual
violations failed. Hence, I reached out for help here. Thanks for your
response.

On 12/6/22, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/12/2022 07:59, Ramakrishnan Subramanian wrote:
>> Dear members,
>> We have A search dialog where the user can search for any query using
>> any keyword within the website. However, there is no required
>> attribute is present for the search field and when the user activates
>> the search button without providing any input, no error will be
>> displayed.
>> I would like to know whether this will be A failure under WCAG 3.3.1
>> error identification and 3.3.2 labels and instructions?
>
> A search input doesn't need to be set to "required", and submitting an
> empty search should not really bring up an error message either ... far
> too much friction. I'd say it's quite common sense that if you, as a
> user, hit a search without actually providing a search term, nothing
> will happen.

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke
>
> https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke