Re: Query regarding 1.3.4

 +1 to Alan, John and Juliette

During discussions of SC 1.3.4 - Orientation, I don't ever remember the
working group bringing up the idea that loading up correctly in either
portrait or landscape orientation was all that was required to pass this
success criterion.  From my recollection of those meetings and email
threads, the success criterion was all about not forcing users to have to
be able to change orientation ever to get content or functionality to work
correctly. I was one of many included in those discussions, so if others
remember differently, please correct me.

Think of all of the ways this rule could play out in reality.  Think of the
benefit to people with disabilities who would be disproportionately
negatively impacted by the absence of this rule.  In my opinion, it's not
just a Usability issue, it's an Accessibility issue.

Here's one hypothetical scenario:

A web user with partial paralysis begins the meticulous process of filling
out a business license application using a switch to interact with a tablet
mounted to a wheelchair.  In the middle of filling the application out, a
caregiver enters the scene and moves the mounted device when delivering
care.  The caregiver leaves the room without fixing the device orientation
back to where it was when she came into the room to help her client. The
change in device orientation causes business license application content to
not scroll, making it impossible for the user with partial paralysis to
complete the application without assistance from someone else.  This is
both an accessibility and a privacy problem.

I'm sure others can draw up other hypotheticals that involve an intervening
force changing the orientation of a device mid-session.  If you can't move
the device back into the original orientation for reasons associated with a
disability, SC 1.3.4 - Orientation helps you out!

Brooks Newton