Re: Heading and labels

On 27/09/2022 14:28, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
> A label in WCAG is defined as being used to identify a user interface
> component (also defined), and an individual table data cell (or row or
> column) is not a user interface component.

I think that more reflects the problem of defining rules for people who
don't want those rules, so seek to interpret them in a legalistic way,
in order to achieve the least level of compliance that is compatible
with the wording.

I don't know the thinking behind the original definition of a label, but
it occurs to me that the common language definition of "user input
component" may have been understood, rather than the formal one, which
excludes all output components.

This also seems to relate to the concept that a document is not
considered inaccessible if it is equally unusable to all users.

> Not exactly. A table header can have text that _is_ related to the content, but it isn’t describing the topic or purpose.

I think I'd argue that non-visual use of a page gives a more one
dimensional view and requires the availability of row and column headers
that are concise and pronounceable.