RE: Heading and labels

Andrew,

I thought WCAG was also intended to be ‘technology agnostic’ and therefore not restricted to defining concepts in the way that they may be defined in HTML …

there is no normative definition of ‘header’ or ‘heading’ that I can find in WCAG 2.x. In my view, it is a significant shortcoming of WCAG that common user interface components are not well-define or described as it may make this kind of discussion easier.

This is what I meant by ‘developer biases’ or the tendency to assume that something in a user interface has a nifty correlate with the technology used to implement it …

a <label> is associated using the ‘for’ attribute, but this is a concept brought into being by HTML. A label is something that identifies something else … signifier and signified – the actual means by which this is achieved is specific to a web technology.

Also, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that a table header can contain text that is not related to either the content or context of the table in which it occurs (i.e., machine-generated)?