From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Monday, September 26, 2022 at 7:22 AM
To: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>, 'Tom Shaw' <Tom-Shaw@hotmail.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Heading and labels
I don’t believe that it was the intent to have table headers covered under 2. 4. 6. WCAG refers to “headings” when referring to h1-h6 section titles, and “headers” when referring to table header cells. I think that often table headers should
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
I don’t believe that it was the intent to have table headers covered under 2.4.6.

WCAG refers to “headings” when referring to h1-h6 section titles, and “headers” when referring to table header cells. I think that often table headers should be descriptive, but not always. If you have a table that is expressing data collected the table header may have text that is pretty obscure (e.g., “Data_usrnm_curr”) but is reflective of the data collection and/or storage system.

If you want to make the argument that table headers are labels, I don’t believe that they meet the definition for a label because they are not used to identify a component, they are associated with content within just part of a table. (Label: text<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/headings-and-labels.html#dfn-text> or other component with a text alternative<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/headings-and-labels.html#dfn-text-alternative> that is presented to a user to identify a component within Web content<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/headings-and-labels.html#dfn-content>)

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Director, Accessibility