From: Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>
Sent: 26 September 2022 04:24
To: 'Tom Shaw' <Tom-Shaw@hotmail.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Heading and labels

The Definition of label in the glossary is: "text or other component with a text alternative that is presented to a user to identify a component within Web content"

So I would say 'yes' ... a column heading in a table labels the column and is therefore subject to 2.4.6 regardless of any developer biases about concepts like components ...

The issue with this success criterion is not its scope in my view, but how 'describes topic or purpose' can be evaluated ...

There is an inexplicable urge with web professionals to include as little text as possible in a user interface so topic or purpose may only become apparent to certain users with repetition and/or  explanation and/or context ...