RE: Heading and labels

The Definition of label in the glossary is: "text or other component with a
text alternative that is presented to a user to identify a component within
Web content"

So I would say 'yes' . a column heading in a table labels the column and is
therefore subject to 2.4.6 regardless of any developer biases about concepts
like components .

The issue with this success criterion is not its scope in my view, but how
'describes topic or purpose' can be evaluated .

There is an inexplicable urge with web professionals to include as little
text as possible in a user interface so topic or purpose may only become
apparent to certain users with repetition and/or  explanation and/or context
.