From: Guy Hickling <guy.hickling@gmail.com>
Sent: 22 August 2022 00:44
To: WAI Interest Group discussion list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on professional portrait (headshot) images?

To answer the question of whether headshot images should have an alt text, go back to first principles. First ask the question, "Does this image give any information to sighted people?"

The answer is yes, of course it does - headshot images give all kinds of useful information to sighted people. (Whether everyone wants that information is not relevant - some sighted users will be interested in the information.) Therefore you must give it an alt text for blind people, as required by WCAG 1.1.1.

To do otherwise is to deny blind people the right to even know that an image of the person is present. The fact that it is difficult to decide what information should be given in the alt text is not a reason for not giving anything at all!