From: Hickey, Casey <ca.hickey@northeastern.edu>
Sent: Saturday, 20 August 2022 2:22 am
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Thoughts on professional portrait (headshot) images?

Hello WAI-IG,

I've been giving some thought to whether headshot images should include alt text, especially when they're adjacent to the pictured individual's name.

I've seen some opinions that say the image is meaningful because it's conveying an impression. I also recognize that adding alt text to a series of profiles like this could weigh down the screen reader experience with seemingly redundant information.

I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'd like to hear opinions/perspective from the group, or any information that there's a standard/codified best practice here.

WAI's examples for Informative Images<https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/informative/> and Decorative Images<https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/decorative/> both come close, but neither directly address this use case.

w3.org's People directory<https://www.w3.org/People> uses "Photo of [first name] [last name]" as its alt text, which leads me to second-guess my instinct here.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Casey Hickey
Digital Accessibility Manager
Information Technology Services
Northeastern University

Kevin Prince

Product Accessibility & Usability Consultant

E kevin.prince@fostermoore.com

Christchurch

fostermoore.com

This email and its contents are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender immediately, you must not use, copy or disclose any of the information in the email, and you must delete it from your system immediately.