Re: Guidance Needed: Color contrast error using Wave tool when text over background image is present

On 15/07/2022 14:38, Kiran wrote:
[...]
> In one section of the page, there is content over a background image.
> (_not referring to Images of text here_) Content over the image is
> clearly visible however Wave shows a contrast error of 1:1, due to the
> white font and white background underneath the image?

That's a shortcoming of Wave, as it should not flag it as an error, but
- since it can't analyse the image itself - it should probably flag it
as a warning for you to do a manual check.

> My question is
>
> 1. can this error be ignored?

I would not say "ignore" it. I'd crack open something like CCA
https://github.com/ThePacielloGroup/CCAe/ and manually check that the
text has sufficient contrast everywhere around it.

Also, consider how the text might be placed over different parts of the
image when the user's browser window is resized, zoomed, etc. check most
common variations to ensure that that text is always over a dark-enough
region of the image. If you can't guarantee that, look at adding
something like a solid or dark semi-transparent background colour behind
the text itself, so that regardless of where it's placed over the
background image, it will have a consistently dark backdrop to guarantee
sufficient contrast in all situations.

> 2. is an automated tool showing an error just in case if image doesn't load?

No, it's just a shortcoming of Wave. and likely most other tools out
there will flag this as at least a warning/manual check.

> 3. Or do I need to make the background color underneath the image to
> dark color? in order to make WAVE happy? is it important in terms of
> accessibility?

That would be a good best practice, but it's not required per se by WCAG.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux