Re: Accessible name on SVG and the G element

This topic definitely seems within scope for the list. If there are people
interested, there is a dormant W3C community group dedicated to the topic
- is it worth resurrecting that for focused discussions and an effort to
build a decently documented knowledge base others can refer to?

It's years since I was deep in this area, but I believe the following are
braodly true:

To get to information deep in an SVG it has to be something that a screen
reader expects to navigate to - you can use ARIA to add table structure if
that's relevant, you can make blocks navigable inside the SVG because they
are interactive, and apply labeling to them, ...

The title and desc elements in SVG used with labeledBy and describedBy
seems like the "idiomatically right" approach in many cases, assuming
you're not aiming at an audience who either use screenreaders or have no
need of anything for visual interaction. (My own feeling is that most
diagrams are hard to understand, and labels for the various pieces are
really helpful. Ideally, visually present too, but sometimes that doesn't
fit...)

How you include the SVG matters - not all methods provide equal support in
browsers and assistive tech like screen readers.

There are people who have done some pretty advanced development of SVG for
simulations and the like, and collecting references to the stuff they have
published would be helpful when questions like this arise...

cheers

Chaals