Re: Seeking clarity regarding the terminology in Success Criterion 1.2.5 Audio Description

I had been planning to let my nit on this topic wait for WCAG3, but if
we're developing resources for use on w3.org, it may be more prudent to
address the clash between WCAG 2.x and HTML 5.x sooner, not later.

Thanks, John, for pointing people to the Media Accessibility User
Requirements (MAUR) we developed (and published as a W3C Note in 2015).
This document drove some of the design of accessibility support enabled
by the HTML 5 specification.

Most particularly I would note that there's the object being described,
i.e. the video, and two modalities by which it can be described under
HTML 5. One supported modality is audio. This is the traditional one
that WCAG references. Unfortunately, WCAG ignores the other available
modality supported by HTML 5, i.e. text. All this is described in the
MAUR.

I would note that Nigel Megitt (of the BBC) has provided an open sourced
library for implementing textual descriptions of video. W3C resources
should not be ignoring this option.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what we call it, as long as a
description is provided. Perhaps we can put off the naming clash for
WCAG3. A rose by any other name and all that.

Nevertheless, seven years is a long time to ignore the provisions of a
specification and the accessibility features we worked so hard to
incorporate in it. And, WCAG3 is still years away.

So, if you create descriptions of video as audio files, well and good. I
would just not like to see that terminology creep into additional WAI
resources.

Best,

Janina

--