RE: Accessible Word Developer tools

Hi Steve,

I'm surprised about your findings about the three types of form controls in Microsoft Word. I tested form controls (in Word 2016) during the summer and I found the following:

- Only the legacy controls are (somewhat) keyboard accessible; the "newer" controls (which have been available since 2007) and the ActiveX controls are not keyboard accessible at all.
- The legacy controls don't provide a date control; you need to repurpose a text entry field for this and change the data type (and add the date format to the status bar text).
- The legacy controls don't provide a radio button, nor a drop-down list.
- Before sending out a form, you need to restrict editing so users can only fill in form fields and not modify other parts of the document.
- Restricting interaction with a document to form fields will mean that screen readers only read the "status bar text" that has been defined in the control's properties; no other content in the document will be read by default. (The visible labels next to the controls will not be read; there is no mechanism to connect the programmatically with the controls.)
- To enable access to headings, instructions etc in the document, you need to put them in section; then when you restrict editing, these sections should be excepted from the editing restrictions.
- None of the three types of form controls generate a PDF form when exporting to PDF. If you want to use a Word document as a starting point for a PDF form, it is best to leave white space rather than inserting any of Word's form controls. The form controls can then be added in Adobe Acrobat Pro. This is a cumbersome process. (So far, I have not created forms starting from InDesign documents.)

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe