Re: Summary required for complex tables?

On 05/10/2021 23:02, Phill Jenkins wrote:
> Some are interpreting the guidance on the W3C Web Accessibility Tutorial
> that a summary is required to meet WCAG for *complex* data tables.  Is
> that the intent?

The tutorials (like techniques) are of course only informative, and not
normative.

> In other words, should a checker, if it can detect a table is complex,
> check for a summary?
>
> The confusion is with the phrasing "is usually only needed" as meaning
> "required".
> Is it always required for complex tables, or only sometimes, and so
> could be a AAA Success Criteria?

I'd say no, a summary is not normatively required if the complex table
is correctly marked up (as the latter would satisfy the first point of
"...can be programmatically determined or are available in text" already).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux