Re: 1.3.3 sensory characteristics

On 14/09/2021 11:00, Steve Green wrote:
> The accessible name is not “times” – according to the Accessible Name
> Computation it is “x”. Screen readers announce it as “times”, but that
> is just a heuristic they use. You cannot rely on a screen reader to
> identify the accessible name. It will often be correct, but it will
> sometimes be wrong.

If the correct unicode character is used (in this case '×' which is
different from lowercase 'x') then *that* in itself is the accessible
name. But yes, screen readers then announce the unicode character with
whatever their mapping of "how do you announce this particular unicode
character" is. So not so much a heuristic, I'd say ... they're not
guessing. But it does depend on their mapping of how to announce
specific unicode chars.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux