From: Charles 'chaals' (McCathie) Nevile <chaals@yandex.ru>
Sent: Friday, September 3, 2021 10:14 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question on Copyright

Copyright is national law - so what is true in the US is not necessarily true in any other country.

I don't know of a generally applicable good way to get something in an accessible format, whatever the copyright situation. :(

In many places there is an explicit legal right to copy something into an accessible format for the specific purpose of meeting accessibility requirements, but that takes work. In many countries, if the provider doesn't do it for you, you can in legal theory claim damages due to illegal discrimination because the provider already has a legal obligation to do that for you, but that takes work as well. And companies like Domino's pizza have deliberately argued cases through multiple appeals, over years, rather than just doing what they should have. Sometimes both of these things are true, but that still doesn't solve the problem in your original question.

As a non-lawyer I suspect that in most practical cases, if you have some material under a fair-use exemption, finding an accessible version and using that would be reasonable. But even I know of specific situations where you could still be prosecuted for doing that. If you want to be really sure, you need a legal expert not an accessibility one :(

cheers

--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/oth thin