Re: Question on Copyright

Copyright is national law - so what is true in the US is not necessarily
true in any other country.

I don't know of a generally applicable good way to get something in an
accessible format, whatever the copyright situation. :(

In many places there is an explicit legal right to copy something into an
accessible format for the specific purpose of meeting accessibility
requirements, but that takes work. In many countries, if the provider
doesn't do it for you, you can in legal theory claim damages due to
illegal discrimination because the provider already has a legal obligation
to do that for you, but that takes work as well. And companies like
Domino's pizza have deliberately argued cases through multiple appeals,
over years, rather than just doing what they should have. Sometimes both
of these things are true, but that still doesn't solve the problem in your
original question.

As a non-lawyer I suspect that in most practical cases, if you have some
material under a fair-use exemption, finding an accessible version and
using that would be reasonable. But even I know of specific situations
where you could still be prosecuted for doing that. If you want to be
really sure, you need a legal expert not an accessibility one :(

cheers

--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/oth thin