Re: Expand/Collapse Menus

On 17/08/2021 19:05, Shivaji Kumar wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> Here is a question I am certain has come up many times before but I
> wanted community opinion about.
>
> I have a situation where there is expand/collapse menu, but when
> activated the screen reader does not pick information about the
> changes.
>
> Question:
>
> Is it better to use ARIA-live="assertive" or ARIA-live="polite"
>
> The information received from the change of state is not critical that
> the user has to be notified immediately, but it is important to
> understand the next steps the user has to perform.
>
>   Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated

And as ever, it's much easier to give an answer if you actually provide
the code/a working URL for people to look at.

Initial answer though based on what you're saying: you should not need
any kind of live region for a disclosure widget or menu. It should
communicate that something happened either via
aria-expanded="true"/aria-expanded="false" (in the case of
expand/collapse disclosure widgets), or by moving focus into the newly
opened menu (in the case of actual ARIA application-like menus) etc.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux