Re: Background animation on a page needs separate audio track?

On 04/08/2021 10:04, Louise Lister wrote:

> I have a question about background animations on landing pages and what
> we need to have in place.
>
> Iā€™m aware of the pause/stop/hide requirement
> <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/pause-stop-hide.html>
> (which we are not currently meeting ā˜¹) and I need to sort out.
>
> In the case where we have a short video loop, do we also need to provide
> an auditory description to be accessible? These are quite new animations
> and have triggered this accessibility check ā€œ*object link to multimedia
> file require equivalent alternatives (e.g., captions or auditory
> descriptions of the visual track).ā€* I would really appreciate to know
> whether I should ignore or try and accommodate this check in some way to
> meet Level A and AA standards.

If the video loops are essentially decorative/visual "fluff"/mood, it's
on par with decorative images. The latter don't necessarily need a text
alternative, and decorative videos (that don't actually convey
content/information) don't need a media alternative/audio description
(1.2.1)

As with decorative images, there is obviously an argument that if the
videos do convey a certain mood/feel, that should also come through
somehow (in the copywriting/tone of the content etc), but that's more
subjective to decide on.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux