Re: 1.3.1 info and relationships

On 23/03/2021 18:43, Guy Hickling wrote:
> I understand what is being said about the inverse view of the problem
> not actually being covered, because there are a number of WCAG success
> criteria that don't actually cater for the inverse situation although
> they really should. But in this case, with 1.3.1 and the situation
> raised here, I don't think there is a problem.
>
> Consider it this way. If I see three paragraphs of text on a page,
> that's all there is - three simple paragraphs. I expect that content to
> be conveyed to assistive technology as three paragraphs, with no other
> semantic structures or other nonsense thrown in.
>
> So if I then turn my screen reader on and start hearing about headings
> or tables or other suchlike stuff, that's a fail!

But let's take it to an extreme other end...the author added correct
headings to offer additional structural information/easy landing points
for AT users, but has visually hidden them. That's not necessarily a
fail (most auditors will be ok with it, unless it's overdone and starts
becoming too unnecessarily verbose, but strictly speaking that's not
necessarily covered by 1.3.1).

I seem to remember we had a vague discussion around this very topic not
so long ago where we did youch on various aspects, including text that
visually looks like regular text, but is marked structurally as a
heading, and does actually make sense structurally as a heading but the
designer chose that for a sighted user it was not worth emphasising it
because it was clear from the layout/context what that particular part
of the page was. Sadly, the closest I can find is a different discussion
about a series of links in a navigation necessarily requiring a list
around them or not...
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2020AprJun/0137.html /
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/1159

Patrick H. Lauke