There are limits as to how many configurations one can test, but I have seen more people moving over to darkmode, so I would consider it as a possibility.

Hope this makes sense.

Elizabeth

On Mar 8, 2021, at 2:34 PM, Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk<mailto:steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>> wrote:

As the author, it’s not your problem if some mail clients change the appearance of the email or some users change the default configuration. In terms of WCAG conformance you are only responsible for the code you deliver.

You might choose to go beyond what WCAG requires by testing in different mail clients and with different settings such as dark mode, but it all depends what you are trying to achieve. Those things are not required for WCAG conformance.

Steve

From: Pyatt, Elizabeth J <ejp10@psu.edu<mailto:ejp10@psu.edu>>
Sent: 08 March 2021 19:10
To: Jeana Clark <jclark@veritashealth.com<mailto:jclark@veritashealth.com>>; Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk<mailto:steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: eNewsletter Guidance?

I did a session on email accessibility and one quirk of email is that you don't always know which clients the reader is using and how it's set up.

For plain text email, this usually isn't an issue, but if you compose email with any kind of formatting tools (e.g. bold, change colors/fonts), then some issues can arise.

I work in dark mode most of the time, but I've gotten some emails with unreadable text because it didn't translate well to dark mode. For instance I'll get yellow highlights on white text (instead of yellow on black). Graphics with a transparent background can also fail

The lesson is that if you use formatted mail or an email mass mail tool, you should test in dark mode. Some programs just override my darkmode, which is fine for me. It's also basic CSS good practice to specify all colors and not assume defaults.

Hope this helps.
Elizabeth

P.S. Image ALT text is also important, but not everyone knows where the tool is, and not all email packages can insert ALT text. The same is true for headings and tables.