From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:46 AM
To: Bristow, Alan; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Invalid ARIA necessarily a WCAG fail? (Role menuitem missing required  parent role (group,menu,menubar)

Yes, there will be a failure of SC 4.1.2 (name, role and value). Which element the failure relates to will depend on what the intended functionality is.

In the case of role="menuitem", at least 90% of the time the issue is that the attribute should be removed from the link because it is in a navigation menu, not an application menu. In the rare case that it really is an application menu, the error relates to the parent element as you described.

The bottom line is that you can't just copy and paste the error description from a tool into your report. You must inspect the code and find out what's really wrong. This principle applies to every tool for every WCAG success criterion because tools frequently misdiagnose issues even when they are correct to report that there is an issue (i.e. it's not a false positive).

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd