From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 5:29 PM
To: Ginger Claassen <ginger.claassen@gmx.de>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Question regarding ARIA 1.1 authoring practice

I am getting the same results as you when using Chrome and JAWS 2019. The Page Down key jumps to some random location that seems to equate to one screen height. It works properly if you press the JAWS passthrough shortcut first, which is Insert+3, but that is a complete pain.

This is not just a JAWS issue because NVDA 2019 behaves exactly the same.

The Page Down key works correctly if JAWS is not running, so the authors of the design pattern might argue that it works as designed. However, the whole point of the design pattern is to make the feed work with assistive technologies, but it doesn't. I don't think this can be addressed in the ARIA specification. The fix is for screen readers to pass through the Page Up and Page Down keys when the focus is inside an element that has role="feed". However, they may have good reasons for not doing so.

FWIW, I am always sceptical of the use of Page Up and Page Down keys in widgets and in structures such as feeds. I have seen several date pickers that use those keys for various purposes. This is not an expected interaction model and it is not realistically discoverable. You could provide instructions, but that is usually an indication that you've got a bad design (and no one reads them).

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd