RE: { contrast } on focus

In my reading of the standards links would need to have sufficient contrast whether focused, hovered,  or un-focused/hovered.  A link that is not focused is not disabled unless it is disabled for everyone and can’t be activated until some other action takes place.   A style switcher is an option to allow users to opt into sufficient contrast – although the mechanism to turn this on would need to have sufficient contrast.  However, I’d strongly recommend that links have sufficient contrast without a toggle – keep in mind that sufficient contrast is really only a minimum and is not high contrast.

Jonathan

From: caroline <woodward.caroline@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 2:57 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: { contrast } on focus

Hi,
I'm helping a friend freshen up her site. She'd like to keep her colour palette light and airy.

Is it acceptable to have links in the navigation not meet contrast until it gains focus? I've seen orgs like Google do this but it doesn't mean it's correct and I'd like to be sure.

On a related note, could a link be considered disabled until it gains focus? I'm wondering if that's why google opted to do this.

Thanks I'm advance!