From: Graham Armfield <graham.armfield@coolfields.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 11:25 AM
To: Savage, Angela (ITS) <Angela.Savage@its.ny.gov>
Subject: Re: Required indicator for related fields

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

HI Angela,

You seem to be using the asterisk (*) as your required field indicator.

First question: Do you tell people that at the top of the form? I hope you do, even though this is a sort-of standard way of indicating required fields.

My view is that in this example it would not be necessary to use the indicator on all fields since you're implying it from the indicator on the legend for the fieldset.

For screen reader users, however, I would be inclined to add aria-required="true" on each of the month, day, year input fields.

One thing that you haven't mentioned is what happens if a user submits the form before they have completed all the fields. Where are you putting the error message(s) and how are you linking them to the inputs for screen reader users? If it was me I'd be using aria-describedby to link the message to each input.

Hope I've understood your question correctly and that this has helped.

Regards
Graham Armfield

[http://www.coolfields.co.uk/coolfields-consulting-email-logo-v1.gif]
coolfields.co.uk<https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=a5d882e8-f9fc7489-a5da7bdd-0cc47a6d17e0-d2130d17ac8472a4&q=1&e=803fa1d4-0219-44df-b1fa-3c28c47217ef&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coolfields.co.uk%2F>