Re: Accessibility of two extremes

Thanks Steve. I will discuss with our devs the option of a style switcher.

I have recommended that we indicate a change of state not by colour alone but use additional visual cues such as bold text or a line.

And I acknowledge that it is really difficult to plan for all vision conditions, and we would like to achieve a good balance and not forget other conditions too.
From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Date: Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 6:01 pm
To: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Accessibility of two extremes
Resent from: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Resent date: Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 5:55 pm

People’s needs are so varied that you can’t come up with one colour scheme that suits everyone. I advocate the inclusion of a style switcher to make a variety of colour schemes available.

This is one of the accessibility community’s “holy wars”, and some people take the view that we should not replicate tools that are available in browsers. That is not my view, especially since browsers’ colour settings are only effective on the very simplest of websites. Likewise, custom stylesheets or browser extensions such as Stylus require a lot of effort just to get them to work with one website.

If you do implement a style switcher, the question is how complex to make it. I have seen some that allow users to choose a vast variety of text and background colours – in my view that’s making it too complex. 3 or 4 pre-set options will probably be enough to meet most people’s needs if you choose them carefully, but there will always be someone who wants something different.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd