Re: Accessibility of HTML title attribute for tooltips

Note the third statement from Understanding SC 3.3.2:
"The intent of this Success Criterion is to have content authors
present instructions or labels that identify the controls in a form so
that users know what input data is expected. Instructions or labels
may also specify data formats for fields especially if they are out of
the customary formats or if there are specific rules for correct
input. Content authors may also choose to make such instructions
available to users only when the individual control has focus
especially when instructions are long and verbose".

So the title attribute does have a role to play in some situations.
Alas it is not  supported via keyboard by most browsers which is a
long standing serious browser limitation.
Thanks,
Sailesh

On 7/17/20, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/07/2020 22:23, Ajay Sharma wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I have a question regarding native HTML title attribute, , which is
>> one of the easy way to add tool tip to a control, but tool tips
>> generated in this way do not persist while trying to hover with mouse
>> pointer, which fails SC 1.3.13 Content on hover or focus.
>
> Technically, those title tooltips do pass, because they're exempted:
>
> "Exception: The visual presentation of the additional content is
> controlled by the user agent and is not modified by the author."
>
> But, as others have noted, I'd actually reconsider the need
> for/use/reliance on tooltips altogether.

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke
>
> https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
> https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux

Sailesh Panchang
Principal Accessibility Consultant
Deque Systems Inc
381 Elden Street, Suite 2000, Herndon, VA 20170
Mobile: 571-344-1765