Re: Directives, policies, laws, and regulations that reference WCAG 2.1

On 14/07/2020 08:44, Lars Ballieu Christensen wrote:
> Referencing a specific version of the WCAG in legislation is usually a
> bad idea as it would require an act of parliament or similar every time
> the WCAG is updated.

UK law handles this by having two tiers of legislation.  Acts are
primary legislation, but this sort of detail is handled by secondary
legislation, called statutory instruments.

Secondary legislation can be either by negative resolution, in which
case the elected representatives have to explicitly call for it to be
rejected, or affirmative resolution, where the proposal is put to them
in every case.  The choice is specified in the primary legislation.

This is an example of the secondary legislation for a code of practice
in a different area:
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/518/made/data.xht?view=snippet&wrap=true>

Note that, in the UK, one would expect WCAG to be handled in the same
way as the above example, as something that can be used as one way of
demonstrating compliance, rather than as something that must be followed
to the letter.  However, I don't believe it is currently referenced in
UK law.