From: Mark Weiler <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:41 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Sight loss, orientation and mobility and metaphors for web navigation

I have a question for folks with sight loss or who work with people with sight loss regularly.  To what extent do you think orientation and mobility techniques for navigating physical space provides fruitful metaphors for thinking about interacting with web content?  Aria landmarks echos of landmarks in O & M.  On the other hand, a blind friend says when he enters a physical space, he listens for the sound of a space. For example, he'll listen for sounds reflecting off of surfaces. This doesn't seem to have a parallel in web content orientation, as far as I know.