From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:40 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Lists inside nav necessary?

If the navigation links are not related, then of course they should not be in a list. In a typical menu, the links all point to major sections of the website, so they are clearly related. However, a Sign-in link would not belong in such a list. It's not just that it's in a visually separate list, but it's also logically separate.

I am not at all convinced that the personal preferences of people on this list are a good basis for making decision, because such people are of massively higher proficiency than average. If you don't want to hear list structure, turn it off in your verbosity settings. Don't deny it to every other screen reader user.

Steve