RE: Focus indicators for grouped controls

I would add that for multi select listboxes it is possible that selection and focus are different and that the box itself could lose focus while individual list items are focused.  List items can be focused but not selected and not focused but selected or focused and selected.    This type of behavior can be seen with accessibility inspection tools like Inspect (or perhaps insights) from Microsoft when looking at lists in Windows.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:12 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Focus indicators for grouped controls

On 15/10/2019 14:50, Alastair Campbell wrote:
> Is the second really a 'focus'? I think (in examples I have to hand [1]) that arrowing down is a selection mechanism, but the 'point of interaction' is still the input. Arrowing down acts to change the text in the input, it isn't a 'focus' as such.

Yeah as said on Twitter, forget about this particular aspect...it's probably more an edge case and arguably the focus jumps between the input and the listbox contextually.

Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com