Re: Would incorrectly implemented landmarks constitute a WCAG failure?

On 09/05/2019 01:52, ALAN SMITH wrote:
> It appears to me that every automated testing tool flags multiple
> landmarks/regions that do not have unique names/labels as a violation.
>
> 1.3.1 Info and Relationships has the use of Landmarks under
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/aria/ARIA11

[...]

Key words in the technique are "should", "best practice example", "may",
and the fact that techniques are informative, not normative.

To clarify: I'm not saying it's not advisable to do all these things as
best practice, but I'm not personally convinced these are enough for
hard failures (though, as ever, it would need to be evaluated on a
case-by-case basis). But maybe it's just me...I tend to be a lot more
careful and conservative these days before authoritatively saying
something's definitely a fail in all cases.

Patrick H. Lauke