RE: captions accessibility with screen readers.

I strongly disagree. trying to use any alert to force captions to be
announced through screenreaders is likely to do more harm than good.
Captions are for people with hearing disabilities. If screenreaders can't
avoid announcing them, their users would be subjected to the synthetic voice
speaking over the audio track.

I can see a use case for where text is only visually displayed or an
informative image is used without narration, but the caption isn't the right
mechanism for this, a more appropriate solution would be an audio
description.

As it is, some screenreader browser combinations or particular
implementations of video players do set the screenreader announcing captions
or alternatively giving a running update of the current position, both of
which are extremely distracting and make the video less, not more
informative and enjoyable.

Bim

Bim Egan
Partner: AccessEquals