From: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 6:30 AM
To: Sean Murphy (seanmmur) <seanmmur@cisco.com>
Cc: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: captions accessibility with screen readers.

Yes they should, in my opinion, role=“alert” aria-live="assertive”.  If you’re watching video with captions, you’re probably not interacting with the rest of the page so much. However I can see that there may be a case here for changing this depending on whether the video is full screen or not. Certainly in the case of a page with a whole bunch of captioned videos, if more than one is playing simultaneously, this would be a usability nightmare (think social media pages with lots of videos embedded), so something more subdued is needed. I don’t think I’ve seen a UX pattern for this that really works yet, but I’d like to learn more about how this might be possible.