Re: Bold vs Strong + questiob

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 17:01:36 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 09/06/2018 05:45 AM, Taliesin Smith wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I found a tweet yesterday (thanks Aidan Tierney) that linked to an A
> List Apart article on /Conversational Semantics/ by *Aaron Gustafson*. I
> think this article sheds some light on this conversation, so here is the
> url:
> https://alistapart.com/article/conversational-semantics
>
> Taliesin

Not specifically related, but I recently have been doing some
translation of a Fraktur script (A German Blackletter) document.

When they wanted to emphasize something, how we often use Italics, they
added extra spacing between the letter - but without breaking up ligatures.

I'm not positive on this yet - but it seems that at least of the
typographers when they wanted the equivalent of our strong - what they
would do is use a slightly large font size, start it with upper case,
and use alternate upper case letters.

There are a few places where the lower cases match but look a little
bigger, that start with an upper case that is clearly a little different
than the same upper case elsewhere in the document.

Anyway these are all reasons to use semantic over descriptive tags.
Semantic allows the typesetting to be interpreted according to
convention, and in accessibility that convention often isn't visible.

QUESTION

I'm thinking there needs to be a book/article name tag too. When I
typeset, I tend to italicize and underline those - but many just italicize.

But if visual is being used to convey context then a semantic tag/label
would be good to have. Is there one?