RE: WCAG v2.1 for mobile website evaluation

Hello all,

 My 2 pennies (cents) worth.

The notion of using one screen reader with a specific browser in my view is bad testing. As you are making assumptions which are not correct. There are users out there who use edge, firefox and Chrome with NVDA, Jaws and Narrator on the windows platform. Regardless of the stats shown in the webAim survey. IE in my view is a historical browser and is being phased out. Jaws and Window-eyes of course are the two screen readers which worked the best with this browser. It is important people test firefox and Chrome with Jaws and NVDA. Any bugs they find which they believe are related to the screen reader. Then they must be reported to the vendors of those products for them to fix the issues. The simple identification of these types of bugs is by using both screen readers against the same page loaded in the same browser on the same machine. If there is a difference of behaviour between one screen reader and the other. Then you have possibley identified a bug. If both screen readers have the same issue, then you have found a bug in your code or the browser. Repeat the test on the different browser and if the issue still exist, then it is your code.

I would suggest people review this blog on the webAim survey short coming. The survey is still our only good source of user trends by the way and the Webaim team does a good job providing this resource.
http://chrishofstader.com/screen-reader-market-figures-my-analysis-of-webaim-survey-6/

Sean Murphy
SR ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
seanmmur@cisco.com