Re: WCAG v2.1 for mobile website evaluation

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 21:11:20 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On 17/08/2018 15:06, Matt Elton wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope you can help me with a question I have been thinking about for a
> while.
>
> The updated WCAG v2.1 guidelines seem to be device independent but I was
> wondering if all the non-compliant issues would be discovered if someone
> was to conduct an assessment of a mobile version of a responsive site
> using just an iPhone (and VoiceOver). Is this sufficient or should the
> desktop version also be assessed (using a desktop screen reader like
> JAWS or NVDA).

Just testing on a mobile device (particularly an iOS device) won't let
you test for various things like keyboard, pointer-related issues (for
mouse-type pointers), text spacing, etc. If pressed for time, you *can*
test on desktop (where you can resize the browser window to test for
reflow/trigger the "mobile" (more accurately, "small-screen") version,
use Developer Tools' device emulation modes, and to a limited extent
test for touch-related functionality and possible motion (depending on
the device/emulation used).

Ideally of course, you'd do the above, AND also verify on actual
mobile/tablet devices.

Patrick H. Lauke