RE: WCAG v2.1 for mobile website evaluation

Hi Matt,

You’ll find different issues on a mobile vs. desktop view – even if most of the elements are the same, frequently the menu renders differently on mobile vs. desktop.  Tabs may render as accordions and need to be tested, and other elements may change as well. You’ll want to make sure that anything hidden in mobile renders properly on desktop and remains hidden from screen readers.  VoiceOver, TalkBack, JAWS, and NVDA all have different quirks as well.

From: Matt Elton [mailto:mattelton35@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 10:07 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: WCAG v2.1 for mobile website evaluation

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with a question I have been thinking about for a while.

The updated WCAG v2.1 guidelines seem to be device independent but I was wondering if all the non-compliant issues would be discovered if someone was to conduct an assessment of a mobile version of a responsive site using just an iPhone (and VoiceOver). Is this sufficient or should the desktop version also be assessed (using a desktop screen reader like JAWS or NVDA).

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Matt