Re: Bold vs Strong

Janina,
hope you are well, long time no talk directly.

On 07/08/18 05:45, Phill Jenkins wrote:
> In my opinion there is no *semantic* difference between Bold and Strong,

> it just that the term bold and the element <b> *also* have a visual
> style meaning implied, but not guaranteed.

Let me echo what David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> said in this
thread, that this was a problem introduced from the very early days of
HTML - even earlier than when I started on HTML 3 during the browser war
days, and even earlier than when you and I met regarding the Java
Self-Voicing Kit in the late 90's, haha:

This issue is basically the result of an early aberration in HTML
resulting in B and I being introduced as presentational markup, in what
was otherwise a semantic markup language.  Unfortunately, they will be
impossible to dislodge as graphic designers think in terms of
presentation not semantics, and screen reader developers go by trying to
make the best of what is in the real world, so tend to reinforce
misuses, and not support minority, but correct, use.

June 1993 - The HTML 1.2 definitions are:
https://www.w3.org/MarkUp/draft-ietf-iiir-html-01.txt

   B                       Boldface, where available, otherwise
alternative mapping allowed.

   STRONG                  Stronger emphasis, typically bold.

where it is clear that B was [originally] only intended to have
presentational semantics.

My recollection is that original intention of <b> has drifted here and
there over the years, especially  when CSS was introduced, but folks still
fought for <b> to remain because of some implied semantic meaning that
perhaps wasn't there in the original HTML 1.2 definiton, but seems to be
there now, and more importantly remains until deprecated.  I guess I would
have to do a more thorough search to find more e-mail posts and working
group notes.  I think we have to deal with the fact that <b> is still a
semantic tag today, even though it may have been originally only intended
for  presentation markup.  Strong is also a semantinc tag still today and
originally less like pure presentation markup.  When cite, heading, quote,
and all the other semantic mark-up gets added to the conversation it can
and has caused confusion and conflates the issues.

However, there is the valid use case where a part of the heading, or a
part of a quote needs to be emphasized, or bolded, or made strong, or
itilaized.  So that use case is possible, is valid HTML, and should be
accessible too.  Whether or not suported by the screen reader at all, and
if it is, can it be chosen to be rendered by the screen reader user
differently (different voices associated with the bold or strong tag as
apart from the regular heading voice or apart from the regular quote
voice) or not depends on their verbosity settings on their screen reader.

The question that started this threat was about failing a web site because
they used <b> and were told to use <strong> instead - as a failure to
meeting SC 1.3.1, which is the issue I have, because it is NOT a failure
in and of itself to use <b> instead of <strong>.  I do believe it is a SC
1.3.1 failure if <b> and/or <strong> is used inplace of a better/correct
semantic tag that should have been used, such as incorrectly using
<strong> instead of correctly using <h1>, etc.
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPATŪ at  able.ibm.com/request
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/
ibm.com/able
twitter.com/IBMAccess