Re: User Stylesheets are Assistive Technology

"I think a major issue with user stylesheets is that there are no stable
CSS-APIs that you could work against."

selectors are about as stable as they come and incredibly effective.
a generic stylesheet may not beat specificity 100% of the time, but that
shouldn't discount it, by any means.
moreover, any style sheet added to the document is going to have to be
scripted in, and even more likely in javascript.
so since we are already using javascript, lets just find the styles that
are not winning the specificity wars and then rewrite the style at a higher
specificity.

we can also use javascript to address frailty/brittleness in selectivity;
offer a nav/modal that appears on activation. read the dom, present page
elements in nav/modal with toggles/options, etc.
there are already a ton of bookmarklets that do most of this, pieces of
this, etc.

i actually think bookmarklets are more ideal here for
cross-browse/rplatforms, most particularly in terms of maintenance;
however, then i think it becomes an issue of user adoption. not many people
know about bookmarklets.

maybe i'm missing something entirely? i am certainly not an a11y expert.

--
J. Albert Bowden II

albert@bowdenweb.com
jalbertbowden@gmail.com