Re: responsive design and breakpoints and layout changes

On 01/04/2018 02:07 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 04/01/2018 21:41, Phill Jenkins wrote:
>> I agree it honestly seems like responsive design is the wild wild west
>> where for many developers, all that matters is that it works for their
>> eyes on the devices they happen to own - like guidelines and training
>> are going to fix that . . .
>
> As for the developer bashing bit, maybe also consider that these
> developers were aiming to ensure content fits/adapts to whatever the
> user's browser/viewport width is, rather than forcing the user to scroll
> horizontally and vertically. So not so much a "they don't care/it's the
> wild west", but rather "their aim works for certain users, but doesn't
> work for me/match my preference".

Using device width they can make sure it doesn't scroll except when the
user chooses to zoom in past the device width.

Maybe what clients need is the ability to set the viewport manually and
have it not change with zooming, just like device-width doesn't change.

When there is text on an image (common) I often can't read it without
making the image bigger. Sometimes it's not text added to the image, but
the text on a t-shirt or something.

Reducing the CSS pixels by zooming in resulting in a layout change (and
sometimes even a change in which image is served) is very problematic.