From: Phill Jenkins [mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:42 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: responsive design and breakpoints and layout changes

Sounds like a User Agent/Browser issue, not something the web authors should be responsible for.

But I agree there should be some best practices and guidelines for accessibility with respect to responsive design - especially in the area of what the browser should be handling for them and guideloines for users on what to expect from the browsers.  For example, if the user zooms to 200%, do I get/want scroll bars or responsive design?  I just think it is more easily solved in the relatively few browser that trying to educate the thousands (millions?) of developers.  I agree it honestly seems like responsive design is the wild wild west where for many developers, all that matters is that it works for their eyes on the devices they happen to own - like guidelines and training are going to fix that . . .

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility Conformance Report VPAT(r)at  able.ibm.com/request<https://able.ibm.com/request/>
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility