RE: Font accessibility

Jonathan wrote:
. . . I think the reason [font accessibility] has not been addressed for
web content is that historically browsers have provided the ability for
users to apply their own styles and fonts and thus this has allowed these
issues to become more usability type issues.  However there are situations
where the user cannot overwrite the font such as embedded content, native
content, print content, etc.  there is also a trend away from user agents
allowing user level style sheets and pages also preventing extensions like
Stylish to add document level styles.

Reply:
we cannot advocate for or allow a trend of a one size font fits all.
Jonathan, I'm not saying that is what you're saying, but I am trying to
use your observations that we as a community need to keep advocating for
the browsers and user agents and assistive technologies to solve this
need.  Font selection should not ever primarily be a content or web author
responsibility /  issue.  Sure its a consideration, and sure there is a
font selection that fits *most* users, or *many* users, but accessibility
is about adapting the content to fit *all users* or at least as many users
as possible.  Font selection should always start with the browser, user
agent, and user selection and then only be a content issue when the font
is *locked* by the author / content developer.  Same with magnification,
and the same with contrast - meaning that the content and web author's
responsibility is to allow for changes and adaptions of their content by
the user agent's settings for font, contrast, and magnification.

If there is a "trend away from user agents allowing user level style
sheets . . . " then perhaps that is a problem that we as a community have
caused or at least should be advocating against!, and a lot louder than it
seems we are asking authors to settle on or choose some single font that
fits many users.  Where is the movement to require UAAG compliance of the
small number of browser manufactures?  Sure, there are print choices that
can't be changed once printed, and PowerPoint font choices that can't be
changed during actual presentations, but when we're talking about digital
accessibility, web accessibility, that is when I try to advocate 1st and
foremost for adaptability, not a one-size-fits-all single font choice
approach.

What do you mean by "embedded content" and "native content"? Shouldn't the
browser or user agent be able to override that content's font too?    If
it should, or could, but isn't, then we as a community should be advocate
for it.  As that late night legal commercial goes, "We demand justice!"
from the browsers.

btw, the Texas Governors Committee on Persons with Disabilities did some
research and recommend Verdana fonts for all their PowerPoint
presentations and printed materials.  See
https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/.../19_PP_02.docx

We have a resource about Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible
Websites; we need one about Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible
Browsers!

Possible ways to send issues to the browsers:
        Send feedback about Google Chrome at
https://www.google.com/accessibility/get-in-touch.htm
        Send feedback about Microsoft Edge at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/accessibility
        Send feedback about Mozilla Firefox at
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Accessibility

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPAT® at  able.ibm.com/request
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility