Re: [White paper] A11Y Wars: The Accessibility Interpretation Problem

I would like to challenge the authors (and all of us so called "subject
matter experts" for that matter) to do a significant edit to the white
paper (and our own writing and speech) and try to be more specific by
replacing most every instance of the term "accessibility testing" and
replace it with a term that is more specific or more defined that does NOT
itself use either "testing" or the term "accessibility".  I believe (I
think with the authors) that the term  "accessibility testing" is broad
and is interpreted in different ways *because* we and they are almost
always talking about different things when we and they use the same term.
The paper goes into detail on this, but I found it confusing itself using
the same term when in fact it meant something different in places.  For
example, at times the term "accessibility testing" could often be replaced
with a more precise term or phrase such as:
         "validating conformance to WCAG 2.0",
        or "assessing web site compatibility with users who have
disabilities and use assistive technology",
        or "researching best practices", etc.
My point is that we almost all agree that these three (3) examples are
interpreted as 3 different activities; but if/when the term  "
accessibility testing" is used instead, each of us *will* have a different
interpretation of what the activity is.  I agree with the authors that
there are different goals, but not necessarily at the organization level,
but at the activity level. And yes most activities are done by different
groups or disciplines (e.g. researchers, designers, developers, testers,
compliance, legal, procurement, etc.) in an organization. For example, I
view a group of designers as in an organization, not an organization of
designers in and of themselves.  So I agree it is up to us SME's to use
better terms when describing activities and goals to improve
communications and understanding.

I also want to advocate for the correct use of WCAG along with UAAG and
user education and settings.  I know it makes it more complicated to bring
in the other components and stakeholders described in the "essential
components" of web accessibility, but it is fundamental that we SME get it
right and advocate for a more comprehensive and joint understanding.

Please read: https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/components/

oh, and for the record, I still do not like the use of "a11y", "ally", or
any other variable of the word "accessibility", and I prefer "digital
accessibility" over similar terms.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPATŪ at  able.ibm.com/request
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility