Re: accessible tables

This is something that people have asked about before, although perhaps
not for accessibility purposes.

I had a bit of a look, and it doesn't seem obvious. I had a bit of a play
last night.

Using two tbody elements their style as display:table-cell sort of gives
the right effect, but breaks the table into two, much as using nested
tables does, so there's little apparent value over just having two
side-by-side tables.

I couldn't make multicolumn layout work in a table (although I didn't try
very hard either).

I suspect the quick and dirty solution is to use some struture like a dl,
with the two pieces displayed inline with borders, and then add aria table
markup if you want it.

I have taken a similar approach using aria table markup in SVG, and it
seems to work relatively well for screen readers.

I'll be interested to hear if there is some good solution. I will also
follow up with the CSS Working Group, since I could not see any evidence
that they had really considered this, although it might be because I
didn't look carefully enough.

cheers

Chaals

--