Re: accessible tables

In the example you give there is a simple solution by using nested tables.
I know that nested tables have a bad reputation due to frequent miss-use,
but your example is one of those occasions when they can safely be used.

The code example below shows how this can be achieved. Note that
screen-readers will announce the container table as one row with two cells
and then the first table in the first cell and read the values logically row
by row

<!-- this is the container table -->
. . .
. . .