progressbar role

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:32:56 -0800
To: W3C WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Techniques/Using_the_progressbar_role

I have custom html5 media player, with a custom progress bar.

According to the mozilla page, it says that user agents should read the
the progress every time it updates - but when the progress is for how
much of the media has played it seems that would compete with the audio
from the media itself.

Should I not use role="progressbar" in the context of media with audio,
or is there maybe a way to tell it to be quiet unless the user asks it
for the current progress?

I am wondering if the context of a media player is maybe wrong for that
particular role.

I currently update the title attribute of the progress bar to identify
the percentage of the media that has played, is that good enough or do I
really need to give it a progressbar role?

Thank you for suggestions.

I'm not using a native html5 progress tag because I need a few things it
doesn't support.