Re: AInspector and Landmark Roles

Thank you! Found a tidbit I had not seen before:

``Do not use the landmark role as part of the label. For example, a
navigation landmark with a label "Site Navigation" will be announced by
a screen reader as "Site Navigation Navigation". The label should simply
be "Site".''

As I don't have access to a screen reader (Linux), I didn't realize they
did that.

For now I think I solved the problem - I use DOMDocument to make pages
and my aside within an artivle always has a heading so for now before I
serve pages, I just have a server-side script that ads "role=region" and
creates an aria-label attribute of "aside: [content of heading]" to the
aside before the document is served.

That should avoid screen readers that don't like complementary roles
within other landmarks while also letting the user know it is an aside
to the parent region it is a child of.

Now I have to go back and fix my aria-label generation because I know my
navigation landmarks make the label mistake your link points out.