Re: Technical question about Javascript disabled option

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 12:13:00 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 10/05/2017 11:05 AM, David Woolley wrote:
> On 05/10/17 18:34, Giacomo Petri wrote:
>> a WebAIM survey in 2014 reported that 97.6% of respondents had
>> Javascript enabled
>
> The significance of this is the opposite of the obvious one.  Given the
> vast number of sites that are unusable without Javascript enabled, it is
> saying that there are still people who think it important not to enable it.

There's a false rumor that JS is bad for accessibility.
Just the other day I ran into a site promoting "pure CSS" drop-down
menus and one of the claims was that without JS it was more accessible.

Except it wasn't, I couldn't tab focus on the menus in the demo.

I think it is a holdover from the days when many people with
disabilities had to use console browsers like lynx that didn't support
JS, so sites that required JS did not work for them.

The info that JS used properly increases accessibility is clearly out
there, but some people don't seem to see it.